BLACK MOLD – Is it toxic or non-toxic?
What is BLACK MOLD
Mold ID s becoming really important to people who may observe mold growth in their homes. But the major question usually is, “Is this black mold growing in my home?” Most people ask that question and don’t really know what black mold is. The toxic black mold that is sometimes found in homes is known as stachybotrys chartarum.
In homes, it can be observed as a very dark green or black growth. It grows well on surfaces that are high in cellulose content as a constant nutrient source. Wallpaper, wood, ceiling tiles and carpet are some common places where it is seen growing. Very wet areas are the ideal habitat for black mold to grow as well. It is commonly recognized as a water damage indicator. Houses that have had substantial water damage such as flooding are the perfect condition for black mold to grow and spread. Even after it begins to grow, it still needs consistent and abundant moisture to grow.
Health Effects of Black Mold
Black mold, in its own right, is a mold known to produce very toxic mycotoxins. A mycotoxin is simply a toxic chemical produced by molds. These mycotoxins produced by black mold can be detrimental to the health of human beings. Molds in general can have adverse effects, but the effects of black mold are the worst known. The effects of exposure to black mold can span from an acute breathing difficulty to ultimately the death of a human being. Some primary symptoms of black mold exposure can be: coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing, irritated skin, sore throat etc. Exposure to black mold can also cause more serious health problems such as seizures, memory loss, infertility, and sometimes a miscarriage in pregnant women. There have also been cases where people have died due to black mold exposure.
When it is identified in being in a home, a professional mold remediation company should be contacted to get rid of the mold inside the house. In mold inspections, black mold is usually only identified by using a direct id such as a tape or swab. Black mold spores aren’t usually found in an air sample being that the mold spores are heavy and sticky as well. In some rare cases where black mold is found in air sample is usually because the colony of black mold has been disturbed releasing the mold spores into the air. With mold spores being released into the air, it poses the threat of being breathed in and causing adverse health problems in the human body. A home owner should never be advised to try to remove black mold, but be referred to professional remediation company to eliminate the mold contamination.
Everyone across the country should be educated about black mold and the possible health effects it can have on those who are exposed to it.