Cleaning mold

Cleaning MoldCleaning mold is a subject that anyone who has come into contact with mold is familiar with. However there are conditions that should be considered before cleaning mold. One of the first things that should be determined is who should perform the cleanup.

To determine if the mold cleaning can be performed yourself the EPA recommends that you take the size into consideration. If the area where mold is present is less than 10 square feet it is likely that the cleaning can be performed yourself. The EPA provides guidelines that should be followed if self-cleaning is to be performed. If the area is more than 10 square feet and/or has been exposed to a lot of water damage it would be wise to consult with a professional. If a professional service is chosen to perform the cleanup be sure that they have experience cleaning mold. It should be noted that if the damage was caused by sewage or contaminated water the professional chosen should be experienced in cleaning and fixing buildings damaged by contaminants.

When cleaning mold you should first make sure that all potential moisture problems are taken care of. Any leaks or water problems should be fixed immediately. All said areas should be well dried. It should be noted that in some cases even after mold is removed from an item its original appearance may not be restored. This is likely due to the mold deteriorating items as they grow.

When dealing with areas you can clean yourself make sure to wear the proper safety attire. The area should then be scrubbed free of mold with detergent and water. Be sure to dry the area completely afterwards. If possible allow the area/item to ventilate. There are items and materials that cannot be cleaned, or is extremely difficult to clean, even if the presence of mold is minute. Materials that are absorbent or porous must be thrown away. This includes; ceiling tiles, carpet, sponges, clothes, and wood.

In some cases professionals recommend air cleaners that are designed to produce ozone. Ozone is a strong oxidizing agent that is used as a disinfectant. Ozone is however a known lung irritant. Some symptoms that are associated with exposure include coughing, chest pain, eye, nose, and throat irritation. It should be noted however that ozone generators have been known to generate ozone to unsafe indoor levels. Furthermore, it has been demonstrated that ozone is not effective in controlling molds and fungi, even at high concentrations far above safe health levels.


Click here to find a professional mold inspector near you
Click here to find out about Do It Yourself Mold Testing