Mold Exposure Symptoms

Molds are fungi that act as environmental decomposers that aid in the decomposition of plant matter such as trees and leaves and also decaying organic material.  Molds produce mold spores that are constantly floating in the air that we breathe on a daily basis.  In cases of people with sensitive allergies or a weak immune system, mold exposure can pose an immediate problem.  Most mold exposure symptoms initially show up as possibly asthmatic symptoms or allergies.  Most home owners aren’t aware of mold growth in their homes and contribute their allergy symptoms to just simple dust allergies.  This may be the case sometimes, but mold exposure is real and can be detrimental to one’s health.  Many times mold that’s found in a home is superficially identified on the surface of an object such as a wall.  Cleaning only removes the move from the surface, but underneath the growth is still occurring.  As the mold grows and matures, spores are being released into the air within the home.  This release of spores thus enhances the exposure to mold.  Mold spores can be inhaled in the body, grow, and have adverse health effects on the host.  Mold exposure is inevitable part and breathing in air that contains mold spores being released by mold is an inevitable part of life.  There are three levels of mold exposure symptoms which are primary, secondary, and tertiary mold exposure symptoms. Primary mold spore exposure symptoms include:  sneezing, coughing, watery and itchy eyes, headaches and irritated skin.  These symptoms are common allergy symptoms that most people associate with hay fever.  Just being unaware of mold exposure and mistaking these symptoms for common allergies can lead to more serious symptoms related to mold exposure.  After an extensive period of time primary mold exposure symptoms can then escalate into secondary mold exposure symptoms.  Secondary mold exposure symptoms may include but are not limited to:  hair loss, breathing difficulties, diarrhea, chronic bronchitis, open sores on skin, short term memory loss, drastic weight loss, etc.  These symptoms develop due to on and off exposure to mold for extended periods of time.  Also secondary mold exposure symptoms are severe and can be extremely detrimental if not treated or monitored by a health professional.  Secondary mold exposure symptoms can definitely worsen if a person remains in a mold contaminated area and not move or have proper remediation done.  Tertiary mold exposure symptoms are the most severe symptoms that are a result of continual over-exposure to mold.  Tertiary mold exposure symptoms include:  going completely blind, brain damage, long term memory loss, cancer, and ultimately death.  Elevated and recurrent exposure to mold can definitely cause these tertiary mold exposure symptoms and in due course, result in the death of a person.  Mold knowledge is extremely important in preventing health complications due to mold exposure.